You might have heard, the famous 5 minute install has been tweaked a bit in version 3.0. I still found it incredibly smooth and quick to install.
What you need
- A web server or localhost with an available MySQL database
- A download of the latest 3.0 build available at WordPress Nightly Build
- 5 minutes
What to do
- Extract the files from the downloaded Zip
- Upload the contents of the extracted WordPress file to your web root eg; www.yoursite.com
- Edit the filename of wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php
- Edit wp-config.php to include your database details; database name, database username, database password
- Point your browser at www.yoursite.com/wp-admin/install.php
- If your database is setup correctly you will see the install screen
- For security reasons I’d really recommend not using the default admin user name. This is one of the changes in the install that you can now choose your own username rather than having to setup with admin then go in and change it later.
- Note – Blog name, password, email and Privacy settings can all be changed at a later date
- Select ‘Install WordPress’
- If all of the details were acceptable you will see the success message
- You can now select Log In to take you to the log in form
- Stop the clock, less than 5 minutes down!